Find Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
What is Challenger Baseball all about?
Challenger Baseball is a program that provides an opportunity for children with cognitive or physical disabilities to enjoy the full benefits of participation in baseball at a level structured to their abilities.
Baseball games are played in a fun, safe environment where no score is kept. Able-bodied “Buddies” are assigned (one on one, where possible) to each participant. These Buddies assist the Challenger players with their involvement in the game. Pushing wheelchairs around the base path, assisting players in how to hold the bat and swing, or providing protection for the Challenger player from a batted ball, are just a few of the ways the Buddies offer a better experience for the participants in Challenger Baseball.
Each participant is treated like every other player in the conventional baseball program. All players are outfitted in uniforms, use the same equipment, and play their games at the local baseball parks. A team picture is a must for Challenger, as it is in the other divisions.
Last but not least, the smiles are plentiful and free! The joy on the face of each participant in Challenger Baseball makes it very clear how much fun they are having. No pressures, no playing time issues, everyone just has fun! It's what baseball is supposed to be all about.
Challenger Baseball: Objectives
1. To provide an opportunity for children and youth with cognitive or physical disabilities to enjoy the benefits of playing baseball
2. To educate the community that children with cognitive or physical disabilities can play organized baseball, just like their peers
3. To help the youth in the community "give back" to society, by getting involved in the Challenger program as "Buddies"
Challenger Baseball: Benefits
Playing in a Challenger division gives players and their families the opportunity to:
- enjoy the thrill of playing baseball
- be part of a team
- develop physical and social skills
- build self esteem
- get exercise while having fun
- make new friends
- meet other children and families in their communities
If you are looking to start a Challenger Program in you're area click here to get started!